Built by / at: Louis Shickluna, St. Catharine
Built / lauch date: 1860
Sunk / flooded: September 5th, 1918
Dimensions: 138 ft x 23 ft x 11.8 ft
Sitting in the outer harbour of Toronto in 70′ of water (at the maximum), this is a great dive to do after work and almost within arms reach of Toronto’s CN Tower and Rogers Center stadium.
The Sligo was originally built as a three-masted barque (a type of schooner) and was used as an ocean-going vessel before being converted into a schooner barge. She took on water during a storm and either broke loose or was cut loose by her crew to allow the tug to make it back to shore.
This dive features 15′-40′ of visibility. The wooden-stock anchor is still inside the bow on the port side just beside the windlass. Twenty feet off the stern lies her signature piece: the wheel, with a short length of steering gear below it keeping it propped up off the bottom.
A boiler towards the bow of the wreck has a thin glass tube that looks like a level-indicator (see lower-right photo) which is a rarity, especially after 88 years on the bottom.